This article has been Contributed by Bhavsahib Singh Sahni Delhi
SATTAL – A PLACE OF 7 LAKES
Location & Accessibility :
Sattal is situated in the Lower Himalayan Range near Bhimtal, a town of the Nainital district in Uttarakhand, India. It is accessible by roads and is about 18 kms from Nainital and is about 310 kms from Delhi. By train Kathgodam station is an overnight journey from Delhi.
Sattal or Sat Tal meaning “seven lakes” is an interconnected group of seven freshwater lakes.It comes ahead of Bhimtal another important mountain area in Uttrakhand.It is located at an elevation of about 4000 feet in Nainital District.Sattal along with Nainital, Bhimtal, Naukuchiyatal form part of lake district of India.These lakes are a paradise for migratory birds. The lakes sit at an altitude of 1370 metres below the lush orchards in the Mehragaon valley. Sattal is also popular as a lunch point for travelers and is known not only for its beauty but also for its famous food recipe of curry and rice. Curry is in a form of Kadi and KadiChawal forms a good dish for lunch.
Places of Interest :
1. Seven lakes for Boating and Kayaking.
2. The lake side for Bird watching.
3. Butterfly museum.
4. Bhimtal and Nianital.
6. Lake areas for fishing.
7. Around hills for trekking.
1. It is a place especially for those who love natural beauty.
2. While on way to Sattal stop at viewing points to enjoy scenic beauty of the area.
3. All year round destination but very heavily crowded in Summers and holidays.
4. Carry food items with you on the way as it may be a long ride.
5. In case you take your own car drive slow on the mountains some truns and navigations are quite sharp.
6. Be careful of all your belongings as there are many monkeys over there that may take your stuff from you.
7. Do not pollute the lakes by throwing waste in it.
8. Go along with your family as this place is truly a family getaway.