The term buttermilk refers to a range of fermented milk drinks, common in warm climates (e.g., the Balkans, the Middle East, Turkey, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nepal, India, Sri Lanka, Nicaragua and the Southern United States) .This fermented dairy product, known as cultured buttermilk, is produced from cow's milk and has a characteristically intense sour taste caused by lactic acid bacteria. This variant is made using one of two species of bacteria-either Lactococcus lactis or Lactobacillus bulgaricus, which creates more tartness.
Pudina Chaas :
1. 1litre plain buttermilk.
2. Two bunches of mint leaves, coarsely chopped.
3. One small bunch of coriander leaves, coarsely chopped.
4. 1 1/2 inch ginger, crushed or finely chopped.
5. 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, dry roasted.
6. Salt to taste.
1. In a big jar, take the mint and coriander and hand crush it. Add the buttermilk and blend the mix gently.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix it well with one of those old-school butter churners. You can also use a big ladle.
3. Chill it in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes or so, and serve.