Udaipur Travel Guide & Suggestions, Udaipur Best Attractions
This article has been submitted by Ms. Niharika from Delhi
Location & Accessibility :
Udaipur is located in the southern part of Rajasthan state, just near to the Gujarat border and is easily accessible from all over India by means of road, rail and air transportation facilities. It is surrounded by Aravali Range, which separates it from Thar Desert. It is around 660 km from Delhi and about 800 km from Mumbai, placed almost in the middle of two major Indian metro cities hence commanding a strategic location.
Udaipur, formerly the capital of the Mewar Kingdom founded by Maharana Udai Singh II in 1559, is a popular tourist destination. Udaipur is often referred to as VENICE of the EAST as it is set around a series of artificial lakes and is known for its lavish royal residences.It is the city of lakes in spite of it being at the heart of Rajasthan. Situated at a slight elevation of 600 mtrs the city enjoys better climate and temperature than the rest of Rajasthan. Summers are hot. It’s a treasure for the history lovers.
Places of Interest :
1. Ayad Museum, also known as Ahar museum showcases thousand years old civilization.
2. Vintage car museum displaying vintage collection of motor vehicles.
Bhartiya Lok Kala Mandal, the folk art institute.
3. Maharana Pratap Museum near Haldighati.
4. City Palace, overlooking Lake Pichola, is a monumental complex of 11 palaces, courtyards and gardens, famed for its intricate peacock mosaics.
6. Jag mandir is a palace built on an island on the lake pichola. Also called the Lake garden palace.
7. Monsoon palace built on top of Bansdara hills.
8. Jagdish temple was built in 17 th century dedicated to Lord Vishnu showcases Indo Aryan style of arcuitecture.
9. Gulab bagh is a spectacular rose garden and has a library with very old books and handwritten manuscripts.
10. Shilpgram is located near lake fateh sagar is the rural arts and crafts complex.
11. Bagore ki haveli is located by lake Pichola at gangaur ghat.
12. Udaipur biological park also known as Sajjangarh biological park located near monsoon palace.
13. Lake palace is now a hotel but was jagniwas and served as a summer palace.
14. Haldighati is famed mountain pass connecting district of Pali with Rajsamand and gets its name from the yellow colored soil of the region ? Haldi, the turmeric.
15. Saheliyo ke Bari – lush green garden.
Lake Fatehsagar, Lake Pichola, Udai sagar lake, Doodh talai lake, Jaisamand lake.
1. It is advisable not to travel during the rainy season to make it possible to enjoy the lakes better.
2. The ones who don’t feel very strongly about the antiquity of the places can enjoy the beauty of it.
3. The leather work as well as marble work of Udaipur is very famous.Antique jewelry is abundantly available.
4. The traditional food is filled will ghee.
5. Beautiful embroidered umbrellas are locally available.
6. While planning the daily itinerary try to club places of interest falling in one route to see maximum during a short stay.